Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Activity 1 : A long walk to freedom

Day 2 : Tuesday 24th December - Taking action
Activity 1 : A long walk to freedom

Related image

Dear DiaryDay : 730

Today is my second year in the Robben Island Prison. Today was the same as yesterday and will most likely be the same as tomorrow, but my spirits are high and I know I can overcome this. Waking up this morning was nothing different to how I woke up yesterday morning. The damp stench attacking my nose and the straw mat they call my bed getting thinner and thinner the more I rest on it. Breaking rocks was always the hardest part of the day, standing in the scorching hot sun all day feeling like your skin is going to melt off is not nice, but today was the day I received mail and a visitor. It was currently 6 months after I got my last letter and visitor and I couldn't wait to see my wife. She looked as beautiful as the last time I saw her. I studied a little tonight due to the guard turning off the light and the clouds covering the moonlight. I’ll be free one day, and when I'm free I won’t stop fighting for what is right.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Tēnā koe i tēnei ahiahi Limiteti,

What a great piece of writing. You wrote that really well! I imagine that is what it would feel like being in Robben Island Prison. What stands out to you about Nelson Mandela's life? I'd love to hear what you think!

Nga mihi
Erica

Anonymous said...

Hej Limiteti,

I was moved by this! The way you described how Nelson Mandela's days breaking rocks went is amazing!! Have you heard of Nelson Mandela before this activity?

Sincerely,
Riiana

Post a Comment